I had this thing with anything black-bean while I was working on chapter 7 of Death and the Informant. So did Joss. Here is his Black Bean Burger recipe.
Black Bean Burgers ala Joss
Author: Suzanne Arroyo
Recipe type: Easy
Cuisine: American, Vegetarian
Joss’s culinary tastes are as eclectic as mine. Here’s to Saturday afternoon black-bean burgers.
- 1 medium red onion, chopped finely
- 1 tbsp chopped garlic
- 2 15 oz. cans of low sodium black beans, rinsed, drained and separated
- 2 tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 egg plus 1 egg white
- ½ cup bread crumbs (gluten-free bread crumbs work fine here)
- sea salt for taste
- freshly ground black pepper for taste
- 4 hamburger rolls
- Heat grill or griddle on medium low.
- Put onion and garlic in a food processor and chop 30 seconds. Add ½ the black beans, the herbs and spices, and the egg. Pulse.
- Transfer mixture to a large bowl. Add remaining beans and bread crumbs and season with salt and pepper.
- Mix with your hands until mixture forms a firm ball.
- Divide into four and shape into patties.
- Cook on grill or griddle 5-6 minutes a side.
- Serve on rolls with favorite accompaniments.
If topping with cheese, add during last minute of cooking and cover to get a good melt. Shredded cheese works just as well as sliced. Brie slices are a favorite.